The creator of Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes revealed the new season will be about “recovery from the war.” He shared some details about season 2 with TV Line.
“’There were those few years where people were trying to decide [if] the world was going to go back? Is it going to be the same as it was before? Was the future going to be completely different? That’s the theme of the [season].’”
Details and spoilers for the new season were revealed.
- The Earl of Grantham’s (Hugh Bonneville) bad financial investments will put the family fortune at risk.
- Matthew (Dan Stevens) and Mary (Michelle Dockery) became engaged at the end of season 2 and are now planning their wedding. Disagreements and arguments between the engaged couple leads to doubts about the wedding actually taking place but the wedding is definitely happening. Lady Mary’s wedding gown was kept a secret even to the cast.
- Shirley MacLaine joins the cast as Martha, Cora’s (Elizabeth McGovern) mother. She will clash with the outspoken Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith).
- Lady Edith works hard to convince new beau, Sir Anthony Strallen that she is “marriage material.”
- A major character will die.
- A new kitchen maid will be added to the cast.
- Conniving Thomas (Rob James-Collier) will get a new love interest with a new footman played by Ed Speleers.
The new season of Downton Abbey starts January 2013.